Pickleball: The Fastest Growing Sport in the US with Benefits for Physical and Mental Health
Pickleball, a paddle sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong, has been rapidly growing in popularity in recent years. It is played on a badminton-sized court with paddles and a perforated plastic ball, and is accessible to players of any age and level of athleticism. According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association, there are over 4.8 million pickleball players in the United States, and the sport has grown by nearly 40 percent between 2019 and 2021.
The USA Pickleball Association states that the sport has seen an average yearly growth rate of 11.5%, making it the most rapidly expanding sport within the United States. There are many ways to enjoy the benefits of pickleball, whether on your own, in the community, at a designated facility or sports center, or at places like the Jewish Community Center of Greater Baltimore, which offers tennis and pickleball classes.
The Carvana PPA Tour, a professional pickleball association, has recently launched the People’s Choice Awards of Pickleball in order to recognize the accomplishments of pros in the space.
Ace Pickleball Club is the first franchise to offer technology-enabled indoor pickleball courts with monthly memberships to capture the pickleball craze, and San Diego’s first USA Pickleball-sanctioned tournament took place at The HUB in January 2021. Additionally, several communities in Johnson County have installed permanent pickleball courts, including at Youngs Creek Park in Franklin and Craig Park in Greenwood.
Furthermore, Sport Court has partnered with USA Pickleball to bring the sport to more families and communities around the country. Richard Chaifetz, the owner of Major League Pickleball in St. Louis, has expressed his enthusiasm for the game, saying, “St. Louis is a community that has always been passionate about its sports teams, and we are thrilled to bring Major League Pickleball to St. Louis.”
In addition to the physical benefits of pickleball, such as improved blood pressure and cardiorespiratory fitness, playing the game may also ward off depression and improve mental health.
0. “Health Benefits of Pickleball: Research Shows Improved Fitness …” www.onfocus.news, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.onfocus.news/health-benefits-of-pickleball-research-shows-improved-fitness-lowers-risk-of-depression/
1. “Pickleball is Growing in Myrtle Beach MyrtleBeachSC News” myrtlebeachsc.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://myrtlebeachsc.com/pickleball-is-growing-in-myrtle-beach/
2. “”THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS OF PICKLEBALL” – VOTING …” www.morningstar.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-newswire/20230123da94068/the-peoples-choice-awards-of-pickleball-voting-open
3. “Ace Pickleball Club to Debut First Indoor Pickleball Franchise …” www.franchisetimes.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.franchisetimes.com/franchise_news/ace-pickleball-club-to-debut-first-indoor-pickleball-franchise/article_0685ad26-98f5-11ed-9e5c-57770fdf47c9.html
4. “Pickleball pilot program sparks excitement in Milpitas | The Milpitas …” milpitasbeat.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://milpitasbeat.com/pickleball-pilot-program-sparks-excitement-in-milpitas/
5. “USA Pickleball Inks Agreement With Sport Court As The Official …” usapickleball.org, 25 Jan. 2023, https://usapickleball.org/news/usap-inks-agreement-with-sport-court/
6. “Major League Pickleball expands to St. Louis” www.stlmag.com, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.stlmag.com/news/sports/major-league-pickleball-expands-st-louis-chaifetz-owner/