Pickleball: The Fastest Growing Sport in the US
Pickleball has become one of the fastest-growing sports in the United States. With an estimated 3.13 million people playing pickleball in 2017, it has become one of the most popular sports in the country. Combining elements of tennis, ping pong and badminton, it is a paddle sport that is easy to learn, fast-paced, and social, making it accessible to people of all ages and physical abilities.
In recent years, many municipal tennis courts have been doubling as pickleball courts with the easy addition of another set of lines. There are also dedicated pickleball courts across the country, with many communities having installed permanent courts and others offering temporary court lines on gymnasium surfaces. Specialized indoor pickleball facilities with monthly memberships are being opened to capture the pickleball craze, such as the Ace Pickleball Club, which is set to open its first corporate-owned venue in Roswell, Georgia.
To further support the growth of the sport, Major League Pickleball is set to expand to 16 teams for the 2023 season. Additionally, the 2022 APP Pickleball Participation Report revealed that 36.5 million Americans had played pickleball in the past year.
Recent studies have also revealed the benefits of playing pickleball. A study by Western State Colorado University of 15 middle-aged and older adults found that regular pickleball playing had improved their blood pressure and cardiorespiratory fitness. Furthermore, playing pickleball may also ward off depression and improve fitness.
With the rise of pickleball, public sports facilities across the country have been given new life. Clubs have raised money to renovate and upgrade parks, while Odell Beckham Jr. has purchased a stake in both Club Necaxa of Liga MX and Major League Pickleball's expansion franchise in Washington D.C.
From the blog: Adult Open Pickleball provides opportunity to enjoy the nation’s fastest growing sport. Pickleball is a hybrid game combining elements of tennis, badminton and A net, a paddle, and a wiffle ball are required to play the game Pickleball is the No. 1 growing sport in America because it’s very social, and people were starved for that aspect of life. Pickleball is also relatively easy to learn and appeals to all ages and physical abilities. The United States is estimated to have a population of 3.13 million people
0. “Pickleball pilot program sparks excitement in Milpitas | The Milpitas …” milpitasbeat.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://milpitasbeat.com/pickleball-pilot-program-sparks-excitement-in-milpitas/
1. “The Wild World of Pickleball & Tennis Court Battles | The Magazine …” www.sandiegomagazine.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/features/battle-for-pickleball-courts/article_7cacbff8-9053-11ed-8085-c7225c834079.html
2. “Pickleball is Growing in Myrtle Beach MyrtleBeachSC News” myrtlebeachsc.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://myrtlebeachsc.com/pickleball-is-growing-in-myrtle-beach/
3. “Odell Beckham Jr. purchases stake in Mexican soccer club and …” www.cbssports.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/odell-beckham-jr-purchases-stake-in-mexican-soccer-club-and-major-league-pickleball-franchise-per-report/
4. “Milton Roberts Center offers pickleball – Knox TN Today” www.knoxtntoday.com, 24 Jan. 2023, https://www.knoxtntoday.com/milton-roberts-center-offers-pickleball/